Advertisements

Refashioned

Eco-Fashion Encyclopedia Refashioned. Graphics Kenneth Buddha Jeans

Refashioned

Refashioned is a terminology used to describe a novel use of upcycled materials and crafting dead stock (materials not wanted or usable) of the high-speed society and transforming, stitched, patched into unique hand-made clothes. Refashioned is a philosophical and intellectual avant-garde creation using upcycled materials in a playful way. Each piece constructed, challenging and unique objects that follow no trends, however, creates them. Refashion is a critic of contemporary waste and throw away culture by creating cutting edge clothing from scraps and recycled materials and a visual manifestation of designing fashion differently.  Refashioned call upon a reason to exists as a brand, a core idea, movement, or revolution. It takes scraps or unwanted materials and creates value out of nothing. It is playful an invites people to regain the lost knowledge of repairing, sewing and creating, a lost artisanship and not very hip besides those who always are in the forefront the cognoscenti.  Refashioned emphasis on critical thinking when purchasing not only the look as today (the illusion of the ego are fired up by advertising, messages, intelligent storytelling, mythmaking and communicates often a lifestyle few can ever achieve (look, body, young, glamour’s and carefree). In the 3R’s model reduce, reuse and recycle the most crucial question Reduce (do I need it)? A step far away from today consumerism, throwaway culture and corporations planned product obsolescence, sustainability is, is a direct enemy of corporate mass-production and capitalism.

The concept of taking used materials and use it for another purpose is not new. Nevertheless, refashioned as terminology taken from the title of the book Refashioned, making cutting edge clothing from upcycled material by Sass Brown. Published by Laurence King Publishing 2013 The paper presents the top designers working with used materials and available materials, most designers and brands presented are small manufactures except for a few such as Nudie, Trash-Couture and Denham(denim).

The refashioned wave is at the forefront of the fashion revolution and a part of the new artisan’s movement. Artisans, Encore! The New Artisans by Olivier Dupon. Published by Thames & Hudson 2015 are pure Crafts (his first book titled New Artisans published in 2011). Olivier explains “Craft with a capital letter C is no longer a trend: It is at last enshrined in contemporary life”.  The book covers everything from ceramics, furniture, and textiles and celebrates hand-made, uniqueness, creativity, and quality. Both Refashioned and The New Artisans movement is more than just a design, is political, inspirational and invite for the missing parameters of mass-production the annoying, alike collections you find in the retail stores in the high streets. If removed all logos one does not see any difference or a signature recognisable.

Refashioned the opposite attracts

Refashioned represents the opposite of the throw-away culture, of which most people purchase garments for the look and the trend of the day. Does most consumer never ask questions such as where is it manufactured? Who made it? Did they get decent pay? Is it safe? How was it produced? And does the garment contains harmful chemicals? The process from growing the fibre, manufacture fabrics, cut and sew, transportations to the garments finally are visually merchandised is a retail chain is complicated and hidden. Nothing human-made is sustainable; mechanical processes always require energy (transportation, metals, engines, machinery all adds entropy or heat. Only nature plays a zero-game such as the photosynthesis is 100 per cent effective (a modern banking system is 3 per cent the rest 97 per cent is lunch).

Do you know the footprint of your wearing?

If people knew facts such as cotton needs approximately 20.000 litres of water to produce 1.1. A kilogram of cotton lint (1kg cotton) almost manufactures seven t-shirts of a low to medium quality t-shirt (substantial quality tee 200-gram cotton). The manufacturing of a modern textile takes an average of 2000 different chemicals. More than 50 per cent of the world market of fibre made from a non-renewable source of energy crude oil (polyester, nylon, technical clothing Gore-Tex etc.).

Refashioning The Future

Refashioning the future is Buddha Jeans Research Gallery on Google Arts & Culture. Check it out!


CHECK OUT THE NEW DICTIONARIES WITH MORE THAN 1000 ILLUSTRATED TERMS ON ECO FASHION DESIGN
ECO-FASHION-DENIM AND DIAGRAMS DICTIONARIES OVERVIEW

Related Terms

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: