Collecting is a term used on a type of consumer activity and form of behaviour that demonstrates selective defiance to product obsolescence through the accumulation of specific types of good. Often a formalized, structured movement, it can be an involving and passionate mode of consumption. The motivation behind collecting is miscellaneous.
- Person interest
- Selected investment economic
- Emotional attachments (deeper)
- Belonging to a tribe or society
- Work-related (past, present)
In its most formalized expression, the collector will seek out pieces to complement or complete a collection. The accumulation of artwork can be a highly structured activity in which the collection may be catalogued, archived or displayed. It also might be of skills and learning process. See Throwaway society and planned product obsolescence
- Longer lasting products edited by Tim Cooper. Alternatives to the Throwaway Society. Published 2010 by Gower Publishing Limited