James Dean Fashion Lookbooks Denim Style
“Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today” Jeames Dean
James Dean was a loner, outsider and anti-hero. Therefore his role as Jim Stark in “A Rebel Without A Cause” (1956) soon became the voice of the 1950s teenage generation. The young age understood James Deans mystique and single character as the gap between the older and younger generation was massive, they did not share the same values, idols, music, fashion or movies. The teenage disillusionment where no one, not even their peers, could understand the teenagers.
Most American youngsters could identify themselves with Jim Stark. They felt the same, while their parents did not understand. The music, the rebellious jeans or movies they loved. James Dean was the introvert, restless, a drifting loner and challenging. Marlon Brando rawness and authority made people devoted, the leader. Marlon Brando, the opposite of James, his extrovertedly leading his gang The Black Rebel Motorcycle Club ((BRMC). In the classic “The Wild One” Marlon plays Johnny, the gang leader. They were riding beside a mob of forty young rebels wearing black leather, engineering boots, white t-shirts, Rider Cap and dark indigo jeans with turn-ups. They looked like modern cowboys riding motorcycles and drifting along route 66 disappeared in the horizon. Marlon Brando plays The rebellious leader of BRMC the outsider Johnny Strabler.
Dean sexually confused
James Dean, however introverted, as a teenager struggled, sexually confused as a flipped coin masculinity and feminine side dragged between sexes. James Dean the anti-hero, anti-establishment, a loner, outsider and restlessly. James made the young generation feel something, the teenage angst. Therefore, James Dean, at first sight, apparently untouchable and almost impossible to understand. People were drawn towards him, attracted by the mystic soul. James was not only surrounded by girls young at age, but boys quickly could identify themselves. They adored him. James Dean became a voice in the darkness for those standing outside of the established. Still today an icon of the gay culture. The vulnerability and androgynous character and good looking made for the silver screen, to handsome as heterosexual.
The fatal car crash
September 30, 1955, James Dean died in an ambulance on the way to the Paso Robles War Memorial Hospital, 28 miles away from where the fatal accident happened. In the ambulance was his Porsche factory-trained mechanic, Rolf Wütherich who survived the inevitable crash. James Dean’s drove his new Porsche 550 Spyder, a car he should supposedly be driving during a weekend’s sports car races at Salinas, California
The Porsche branded new and did not have enough break-in miles before the race. Therefore, decided James his Porsche mechanic Rolf to drive the Spyder, adding more seat time. James Dean should not ever make it to the hospital; pronounced dead-on-arrival, the local time 6:20 p.m. Dean died only at the age of 24, some people burn in both ends, intense, fast and make an unforgettable impact on everyone.
James Dean did only three films before his death, East of Eden (1955), Rebel Without a Cause (1955) and Giant (1956). The final films earned James Dean Oscar nominations. He was the first actor to receive a posthumous Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, his role in East Of Eden (1955). No other than James Dean could have created a more prominent myth, eternally iconised stardom.
James Dean Fashion Lookbooks Casual Style
James Dean Style And Street Smartness
Nevertheless, James Dean will forever be twenty-four, young and continuously handsome, sexually confused, dragged between sexes. His original fashion style and taste were way different from other youth icons in the 1950s. While Marlon Brandow wore the black Schott Perfecto leather jacket, James the smart direction wearing a red Nylon McGregor jacket. The college-style is less rebellious and smarter, nevertheless feminine.
James Dean earned his stardom because of his roles as Jim Stark “Rebel without a cause”, especially his role-playing Carl Trask in “East of Eden”, a movie based on the novel by John Steinbeck. Last, not least James Deans role as the main character Jett Rink in the movie “The Giant” (1956) The Giant is an epic story and portrayal of a powerful Texas ranching family challenged by changing times and the coming of big oil.
The American film industry with their stylists made denim jeans incredibly popular among the youngsters, not only did Hollywood cinema stylist understand how to use jeans as an iconic symbol; denim jeans were dark, mysterious and different. The popularity grown as the cinematic heroes loved wearing the dark indigo blue jeans, soon denim jeans became a dangerous symbol. Jeans got worn by rebellious drop-outs, connected to dirty sex, liquor, drugs and rock music. In several states, jeans soon banned regarded as revolutionary in public schools and colleges.
James Dean Fashion Lookbooks Lee 101 Z Rider Jeans style
James Dean Fashion Lookbook Biker Style
James Dean Fashion DNA
- McGregor Drizzler Jacket. James Dean’s bright-red Nylon McGregor Drizzler Anti-Freeze Jacket low waistline and fleece lining, a white tee and Lee 101 Riders 1955 deep indigo blue became an iconic denim outfit. These three everyday items of clothing worn with each other by Dean became one of the most iconic styles in film and fashion history.
- James Dean, together with Marlon Brando, literally changed the way teenagers perceived what was cool. Their dress down style was the change in fashion culture forever, replacing the dress-up code in the 1950s and the next decades.
- The new jeans and fashion culture perceived as dangerous; connected to drugs, motorcycle gangs and rebellious attitude, most often the actor played the role of the loner, anti-hero and outsider.
- A hero who stood up against the established, the enormous impact movies like “Rebel Without A Cause“, “East Of Eden“, “The Wild One“, “On the Waterfront“, “A Streetcar Named Desire” and “Jailhouse Rock” cannot be underestimated
- James Deans favourite Jeans, Lee 101 rider jeans in the movie “A Rebel Without A Cause” wore James Dean Lee 101 z rider jeans. Lee Jeans should become his preferred style and trademark.
- The image of Dean wearing a Lee 101 Rider Jean is showing the perfect fit. Lee Jeans used the image in their advertising, PR and marketing.
- The Lee 101 Rider Jeans, first manufactured1924
- Lee Jeans introduced the Zipper early 1926 and five years later added a slim fit denim jacket named Lee 101.
- The polo tee James Dean was a huge fan of polo tees and V-neck’s. A dark indigo Jean or even raw denim jeans with a Polo tee are a classic look worn for any occasion. I feel the jeans should not be worn to skinny. Unless natural thin. Please avoid wearing the polo tee stuffed in the jeans, but loose over otherwise the casual look disappear.
- The polo shirt preferred Lacoste, a French brand created by the founder the tennis player Rene Lacoste, celebrating 75 years these days. Lacoste long heritage of polo tees started with Rene playing French Open.
- Levi’s Vintage Clothing (LVC) makes replicas taken from the archives of the long and rich history. The tee selected from the board is a classic 50’s sports tee, the main difference except that the cotton weight is more massive is the construction that has been shorter, capped sleeves that highlight the arms and the tee is slightly longer.
- The fit makes it easier to wear a tee naturally fitter in a basic model as the actors wore them in the 50s. It is almost impossible today.
- Never wear the T-shirt tight; it shall naturally fit the body without wearing smaller sizes than regular.
- Frye Engineering boots. The Frye engineering boot is an American classic. However, different brand as Dean is wearing in a rebel without a cause, even so, Frye boot is the motorcycle and engineering boots which have stood the time of style. The shoes on the Biker Fashion lookbook are from N. Hollywood and is a contemporary and modern look of the boots used in “A Rebel Without A Cause.”
- The Jack Purcell shoes Fashion Lookbooks Casual Style
- The Randolph Engineering Aviator sunglasses used by the United States army, navy, and allied air forces worldwide. The glasses are expensive, but the process of making a pair handcrafted, more than 200 stages in production cost. The sunglasses made by Randolph’s engineering are American classics, and wherever the trends fly they will stand time
- The motorcycle gloves original James Dean’s Motorcycle Gloves, if you have a classic motorbike a nice pair of horse-hide motorcycle gloves with flared forearm covers fits
- Jeff Rink Ranch Coat, The ranch coat jacket, is a vintage replica of the coat worn by Jeff Rink in The Giant, and the model made for collectors and people obsessed with details.
- The Phoenix Project remake of the coat limited edition 650 copies, by Stevenson Overall Co + Bench & Loom
James Dean Fashion Lookbooks Ranch Coat Style
History of denim Icons Series
- Bruce Springsteen Fashion Lookbooks And Denim Icon
- James Dean Fashion Lookbooks And Denim Icon
- Kurt Cobain Fashion Lookbooks And Denim Icon
- Marilyn Monroe Fashion Lookbooks And Denim Icon
- Marlon Brando The Greatest Denim Jeans Icon
- Steve McQueen Fashion Lookbooks And Denim Icon
- The Ramones Fashion Lookbooks And Denim Icons
Sources and Useful Information
- Lacoste Website Polo T-shirts
- Converse Website Jack Purcell vintage shoes
- The Selvedge Yard Website James Dean
- Lee Jeans Japan Website Lee 101 Riders Jeans
- Randolph Engineering Sunglasses
- Benchandloom Website Jeff Rink ranch coat
- The Frye Company Website Engineering boots
- Wikihow Website Dress like James Dean
- Raw denim Website Raw Denim history of Lee
- Stylefrizz Website Style frizz shoes from movies
- Denimhunters Website History American brand Lee
- Wikipedia Website Porsche 550 Spyder
- Clothes of film website Rebel With A Cause Style