See Video information below: Michael König
We celebrate Earth Day happy birthday 2017
Happy birthday Earth Day 2017. It all started in 1970 when people started to wake up from their Disneyland-like dreams in the suburbs and understood that if they did not start doing something about the environment it would be the end of human civilization. The hippies became grown-ups. Hippies with children on their shoulders marching with anti-button slogans, long hair, and with a little help from “Lucy in the sky with Diamonds” made it clear for the smartest that the visions they projected while high was the same visions shared by natives-aboriginals- Indians and tribal people for thousands of years,
The sofas became empty and TV screens black as people in the suburbs of America started to wake-up
Passive resistant and non-violent actions took place all over the world (and violent). The large protest on grass root level begun asking questions about toxic waste, TV was full of environmental news: oil tankers Exon Valdes that near the coast of Alaska and the Oil well blowout, MexicoGulf) Independently journalists started digging for information against multi-corporations with toxic factory pipes and high fences with a hidden agenda. Companies with CEOs that was more concerned about the bottom line than their family future.
22nd of April 1970 Earth day was born
Global Earth Day gathered millions of Americans to march for a better and safer world and Green peace started their battle against companies and countries that destroyed life and did Nuclear bomb testing in the Pacific ocean. Greenpeace warriors on board “Sea Shepard became one of the most well-known ships of all time.
Earth day was a reality 22nd of April 1970, the start of the most political and environmentally aware decade of last century. But it was nearly a year before in 1969 when Gaylord Nelson, the Earth Day founder, thought about the idea of celebrating Earth Day. Pushed to the edge and sought after doing something that should have been long time ago, after seeing the effects of the Santa Barbara oil spill. Part of his agenda was to make the people aware of the ill effects brought about by large companies and their exploitation on global common resources without any concern about the effects done to the environment. 22nd of April the following year, millions of Americans went to the streets to take part in environmental rallies and protests. Earth Day went global and in 1990 over 200 million people from over a hundred countries participated. More and more countries participated for conservation of nature. We all need to share their common goal of a clean environment and the work continues today, even more urgent. Thanks To NASA and Michael K. for film and use of imagery.
EARTH from Michael König on Vimeo.
Time lapse sequences of photographs taken by the crew of expeditions 28 & 29 onboard the International Space Station from August to October, 2011, who to my knowledge shot these pictures at an altitude of around 350 km. All credit goes to the full HD, refurbished, smoothed, retimed, denoised, deflickered, cut, etc. All in all I tried to keep the looks of the material as .original as possible, avoided adjusting the colors and the like, since in my opinion the original footage itself already has an almost surreal and aesthetical visual nature.
People involved in the project
- Music: Jan Jelinek | Do Dekor, faitiche back2001
- w+p by Jan Jelinek, published by scape Publishing / Universal
- Image Courtesy of the Image Science & Analysis Laboratory,
- NASA Johnson Space Center, The Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth
- Editing: Michael König
Shooting locations in order of appearance:
1. Aurora Borealis Pass over the United States at Night
2. Aurora Borealis and eastern United States Night
3. Aurora Australis from Madagascar to southwest of Australia
4. Aurora Australis south of Australia
5. Northwest coast of United States to Central South America at Night
6. Aurora Australis from the Southern to the Northern Pacific Ocean
7. Halfway around the World
8. Night Pass over Central Africa and the Middle East
9. Evening Pass over the Sahara Desert and the Middle East
10. Pass over Canada and Central United States at Night
11. Pass over Southern California to Hudson Bay
12. Islands in the Philippine Sea at Night
13. Pass over Eastern Asia to Philippine Sea and Guam
14. Views of the Mideast at Night
15. Night Pass over Mediterranean Sea
16. Aurora Borealis and the United States at Night
17. Aurora Australis over Indian Ocean
18. Eastern Europe to Southeastern Asia at Night
- 1970’s original environmentalists style and fashion part one
- 1970’S original environmentalist style and fashion part two
- Happy Earth Day Chronological environmental happenings 1970-1980 part one
- Happy Earth Day Chronological happenings 1970-1980 part two
- Earth day! the birthday of modern environmentalism/
CHECK OUT THE NEW ECO-FASHION-DICTIONARY WITH NEARLY 1000 TERMS ALL ILLUSTRATEDECO-FASHION-DENIM AND DIAGRAMS DICTIONARIES OVERVIEW