Part One of the story (click and go)
Chronically environmental happenings 1976 – 1980 part two
We were hippies in 1970’s
We were hippies in 1970; my hair was long; worn out, and my brown corduroy boot cut jeans and Tunica from Greece looked good Late 1975 my hair was cut and shaved into a Mohawk, 501 jeans and lengthy DR Martens. My leather jacket painted with punk slogans in white car paint, and my nose got a pin in it. Gone were the drugs and flowers, we replaced it with pints of lager and stones. The alcohol made us mad about anger as we somehow needed to balance the love we gave as hippies.Sex Pistols was larger than life and when the band song; “God saves the queen” on the boat at the river Thames that night when the queen celebrated. We ruled Britannia, and punks ruled the world. Punk was soon over for me, in 1977 came a band which called themselves Clash. Their music was intelligent and style genius. Never before in the history had music changed the world as the punk movement, we woke up from a dream as we listen on the radio that played California dreaming.
The Clash, Baader Meinhof, mods and amphetamine
By the end of the 70s, the dark reality of terrorism, fear and violence ruled. Nevertheless, The Clash changed my look and the way I dressed for the first time I started to spend money on fashion. In 1979 came the film Quadrophenia with the mod revival, the pills got different names but made everything go fast and it made me into a superior version of me; my Parka was two sizes too big covering not only me but my Vespa as well.
Read the post about punk tees and how to make them. Tees’s icon one of the punk movements, the fashion revolution started with Vivienne Westwood, Sex Pistols and the Clash. The Jam made us go “down to the station at midnight” and as the song” “going underground” played the decade was over; I felt thousands years older. She woke me up and said; do you want to marry me? Then I realized I was no longer a teenager but a man.
What happened in 1975?
- Atlantic salmon return – Connecticut River after 100 year absence.
- Congress Hazardous Waste Transportation Act
- The Phyllis Cormack, today Greenpeace, heads out of Vancouver’s English Bay on behalf of The Great Whale Conspiracy. The Campaign catches the global media and Whaling Commission by surprise; this was the end of commercial whaling.
Environmental books of the year 1975:
- Edward Abbey, the Monkey Wrench Gang.(The Monkey Wrench Gang) By Abbey, Edward (Author) Paperback on 01-Dec-2006 Naturalist Buys an Old Farm A Naturalist Buys an Old Farm and E. Wilson, SociobiologySociobiology: The New Synthesis
What happened in 1976?
- Passive resistance logging in Brazil’s Amazon region, rubber tappers would form a human chain in the forest against the oncoming chain saws which displaced them.
- Regulate leaded gasoline US phase out 1979. The lead phase out in summer 1979, half of all US gasoline is unleaded.
- Catastrophic man-made failure caused the damage of millions and death of 14 in Idaho.
- Chemical explosion Milan spreads dioxin, 30 injured & 300 schoolchildren chlordane skin disease 300 schoolchildren.
- The explosion of gas Trichlorophenol in the Swiss factory owned by Hoffman-La Roche chemical & drug firm. The gas cloud spread, hundreds of rabbits, birds, cats, dogs and chicken died in an area and many plants had withered.
What happened in 1977?
- President Jimmy Carter forms U.S. Department of Energy
- Soil and Water Conservation Act Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act
- Ecofisk oil well blowout in the North Sea
- World Environment Day, occasion for the start Kenya’s Green Belt Movement
- A fail in the Dam killing 40 people Pennsylvania
- Allied Chemical Company and state of Virginia settle lawsuit over extensive Kepone contamination
- Kelly Barnes dam fails in Georgia, killing 39 college students and staff.
- Federal Clean Air Act Amendments require review of all National Ambient Park and Wilderness air quality.
Environmental books of the year
- A. Lovins, Soft Energy Paths Soft Energy Paths: toward a Durable Peace (Pelican)
What happened in 1978?
- Propylene gas explosion in Tarragona Spain, 180 dead and over 600 injured after a truck near a camping site set fire.
- Amoco Cadiz wrecks coast France oil spill (six times the amount of the Exxon Valdez spill) over $2 billion estimated damage. The oil slick covered large era impossible to remove.
- Energy Tax Act, ethanol tax expanding ethanol use in US.
- Love Canal Homeowners, living on a major toxic waste dump in New York. President Carter declares Love Canal a National Disaster.
- Investigating Alabama region, DDT contaminated a stream Report “Cancer Alley,” emergence of the environmental justicemovement.
- National Energy, Endangered American Wilderness and Antarctic Conservation Act
Environmental books of the year
- Hunter & Wyler, To Save the Whale: The Voyages of Greenpeace. To Save a Whale: The Voyages of Greenpeace Eric Ashby, Reconciling Man with the EnvironmentReconciling Man with the Environment (The Leon Sloss Junior memorial lectures in humanities)
What happened in 1979?
- The nuclear power melts down, mechanical, electrical, and human failures led to a severe meltdown of the reactor core at theThree Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant. Reports of Safety problems elsewhere
- Oil well blowout, Mexico
- Earth First! Organized
- Environmental justice, hundreds renewable energy businesses – solar manufacturers, Alternative fuels, windmill & alternative energy demonstrate new ideas proposed solutions energy crisis.
- Greenpeace ram the Portuguese whaler Sierra on the high sea
- President Carter propose $1.6 billion Superfund pack age legislation, new concept for dealing with toxic waste
Environmental books of the year
- J Gaia: A New Look at Life on earth. Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth Warriors of the Rainbow: Greenpeace Movement Warriors Of The Rainbow: A Chronicle Of The Greenpeace Movement From 1971 To 1979
THANKS FOR SUPPORTING MY BLOG
I run this blog on my spare time, besides my regular work. It takes a lot of time, no money and does not give much of an income to cover expenses as servers, reliable plugins etc. However, you can help me. If you are about to purchase any green, sustainable, fashion design books or videos click links to the Eco lifestyle store. I get a small contribution from traffic and sales. The prices, service and delivery terms are guaranteed by amazon.com. Your actions can make me spend more time, get better server bandwidth and be able to serve my bloggers with quality and self-produced content in the future. I believe original and creative work is finest; this takes time and effort. In advance, thanks for your support and hopefully you will pay another visit to the blog soon.
Please take time to make a comment if you like; negative as well as positive feedbacks appreciated. My mother tongue is not English so bear in mind that the written language might not always meet your high standard. Nobody is perfect.
Wish you happy Karma Yoga Kenneth Buddha Jeans.
CHECK OUT THE NEW DICTIONARIES WITH MORE THAN 1000 ILLUSTRATED TERMS ON ECO FASHION DESIGN
ECO-FASHION-DENIM AND DIAGRAMS DICTIONARIES OVERVIEW