“This culture is about the most honest way you can be an artist. It takes no money to do it, you don’t need an education to understand it, and there’s no admission fee” Banksy
The grey winter was over
My story starting around 1995 when I started to pay attention to some new refreshing tags and marks in the walls, hidden and forgotten by most people who passed by daily. On these walls, somebody placed simple but strong visuals, intelligent, funny and often with a political sarcastic message. Suddenly, it looked as the hip-hop generation was out of the puberty and has reinvented aerosol painting’s childish but raw expression.
Gone were the endless tags. Gone was the large marker up to pens and unstructured tags, car paint splash and hip-hop graffiti that I usually saw around, not a bad word about graffiti, because the hip-hop was a major cause that I got interested in urban street art. It was all Rock-Steady Crew, Grandmaster Flash & Furious Five, Kraftwerk, Beat Street, Hip Hop and graffiti that occupied my mind then. We used white gloves and danced in front of the mirror, when I think about it for me, stencil arts are a mix of 6o percent German precision Electro, Kraftwerk sound, and 40 percent simple hip hop with street beat lyrics. This is probably why stencil art feels more refined and intellectual than it really are.
Andy Warhol and Factory
Urban art can be tracked back long time ago. In the late 50 and 60’s pop art artist, Robert Rauschenberg and Andy Warhol who used hybrid mass media screen-printing and ionized it commercially. Later, terrorist The Basques in the 80s took the modern form, and in the 80s The Ecole Beaux-Arts student Blek Le Rat and Gèrard moved their art out in the suburban streets of Paris. The culture has a lot in common with punk culture who in the end of the 70s printed stencil art on T-shirts to highlight their message about a DIY culture and a move away from the established. Today’s modern artist who have chosen the wall as their blank canvases have more in common with the beat generation than with hip hop culture. There is more than just a nicely done stencil art to do the job.
The criteria for a good stencil art painting
Painting something that defines the law throughout the land is good. Painting something that defies the law throughout the land and defines the law of gravity at the same time is excellent. Taken from the small book Existencilism Banksy. Banksy is a genius to find a place, the painting and the message at the same time. This is the main reason that Banksy has become an urban art superstar.
My real interest in street art started in 1994 traveling around in Venezuela. A few years before Venezuela I had done a few walls of graffiti. It was at the same time the cultural manifesto of the hip-hop released with the movie Beat Street came out. It was great graffiti art, but did not get me really hooked before 1994. I don’t know but in Venezuela, I manage to get hold of an amazing book! “Muros de Venezuela”; that people in the right circles seen as an important source of early inspiration. Image below; Banksy poking fun at the Police by changing the wording in the written message on the wall
In the city architects create space and eras around that at its best can be livable, but has a dozen of limitations as, their clients have a rigid form of specifications, in fact, too many people are involved in the decision-making. Otherwise, we would have remembered so many more buildings, airports, and bridges. People who paint and create the sterile city-space into a free art gallery deserve to get royalties for their work, not tickets. Unlike architects, city planners the street art painter needs to keep his work secret. Street artist on the other side often works alone, plan out where, when, finds hidden walls, the right places to make a comment, and it can be next-door the mail carrier who is the artist. For me, street artists make those forgotten holes in the city scape into art galleries where you can take a break, see something that makes you think twice or simply make you smile. A street artist makes my daily life livable, get me curious, and inspire me. I think more people feel this way than look at it as vandalism.
Eco lifestyle store
We have just opened our Eco lifestyle store, and we have a wide choice of urban art books. I run this blog on my spare time, besides my regular work. It takes a lot of time, some money and does not give much of an income. However, if you want to purchase any art books or videos, I would appreciate if you click on the links to the Eco lifestyle store as I get commission from it. This can make me spend more time, get better server bandwidth and be able to serve my when bloggers with quality and self-produced content. I believe original and creative work is finest; this takes time and effort. In advance, thanks for your support and hopefully you will pay another visit in the future. Wish you happy Karma Yoga Kenneth Buddha Jeans.
Check out the Eco cotton bags by Banksy. As we are a part of the amazon.com, your delivery and payments are secured. I hope people can hunt special green books and inspirational books in our Eco lifestyle store, so we can continue the work towards a sustainable future. The Eco Lifestyle store by buddha jeans is an affiliate of amazon.com. Therefore, our selections are wide and large. We specialize in Eco lifestyle and design, and our service is to provide our knowledge and make it easier for our bloggers to find what they are looking for.
- Please notify that a few of those images as taken by Kenneth buddha Jeans so if used elsewhere please ask or give credit to owner and site for the use, Thanks in advance.
- It will later on be posted a special trend documentary from 1999-2000 on street and poster art with the full story, we did in 1999 as a pary of the creative work in Levi Strauss Europe, Middle East and Africa
- Image New York Subway 1980 story and images of Bruce Davidson. From the book Magnum ‘Stories
- The Velvet Underground& Nico was their first album by the American band Velvet Underground; the long player was originally released in 1967, recorded in 1966 by Verve Records. The record was written and made during Andy Warhol’s Exploding Plastic Inevitable multimedia event tour. The record has not sold as many records as they gained credit and admirations from other musicians; Velvet Underground and Nico’s vocal are often by other bands mentioned as one of their great inspirations for their own work as artists. More about the band and Nico
Beat street: defeat somebody in a contest, race, or competition, music to show or set up a musical rhythm, e.g. with a conductor’s baton or by clapping hands.
- The movie Beat street: Beat Street is a 1984 drama film, following Wild Style in featuring New York City hip hop culture of the early 1980s; break dancing, DJing, and graffiti. One of the first hip hop movies that soon became a document over a music, art and dance culture with the greatest influence on youth culture from the last 20 years.
- Rock Steady Crew: Rock Steady Crew is a b-boying crew and hip-hop group that was established in the Bronx, New York City in 1977
Grandmaster Flash: Joseph Saddler (born January 1, 1958 in Bridgetown, Barbados), better known as King Grandmaster Flash, is an American hip-hop musician and DJ —one of the pioneers of hip hop music.
- Kraftwerk: German pioneers in digital based electronic music. One of the sources and an important factor when hip-hop was explored and found its basic form. Disco, house, and techno music is also strongly influence by the music band from Düsseldorf, Germany. The group formed by Ralf Hütter and Florian Schneider in 1970. Release music on its own label
- R. Rauschenberg: Robert Rauschenberg (October 22, 1925 – May 12, 2008) was an American artist who came to prominence in the 1950s transition from Abstract Expressionism to Pop Art.
Andy Warhol: Andy Warhol (August 6, 1928 – February 22, 1987) was an American artist who was a leading figure in the visual art movement
- known as pop art.
- Blek Le Rat and Gèrard: Urban art artist from France and highly influences to urban art in France and particularly Paris scene
- Existencilism Banksy
- Stencil Graffiti Tristan Manco Thames Hudson
- Graffiti Thames and Hudson 1990
- Muros de Venzuela 1976
CHECK OUT THE NEW DICTIONARIES WITH MORE THAN 1000 ILLUSTRATED TERMS ON ECO FASHION DESIGN
ECO-FASHION-DENIM AND DIAGRAMS DICTIONARIES OVERVIEW